Four Decades of Practice
When our founder, Bill Lincoln, started in the newly emerging field of conflict resolution, there was nobody to train him. He has spent his career developing, refining, and expanding the profession.
TLI clients benefit from a lifetime of pioneering research and award-winning practice in negotiation and mediation. We know what works and what doesn’t, because we’ve seen it all — we’ve been there.
Eclectic but Focused
Our huge body of work spans the international, community, public, academic, and private sectors. We pioneered the broader application of conflict resolution and negotiation tools beyond the labor and management sector, and it shows in the diversity of our practice.
Our associates specialize in labor relations, environmental and natural resource management issues, family business and succession planning, public policy, and community affairs. From international peacemaking, to corporate negotiation training, to inter-agency dispute mediation, TLI has done it. With associates in several countries, the scope of our reach and experience is global.
International Case Studies
For information about our international successes, see Projects.
TLI founder Bill Lincoln is the recipient of two of the most prestigious awards in negotiation and mediation: (i) the 2003 annual Master Forum Award by the Straus Center for Dispute resolution of Pepperdine University’s School of Law and (ii) the 2004 annual Award of Excellence by the International Academy of Mediators. In 2006, on behalf of Conflict Resolution Research and Resource Institute he accepted the Greater Tacoma Peace Prize awarded by the Scandinavian Community. In 2009, he was granted an award in St. Petersburg for being one of two foreigners who did the most to advance the theory and practices of ‘conflictology’ in Russia — primarily due to his work with the St. Petersburg State University’s Department of Conflictology.
TLI clients have included:
- City of Seattle Fire and Police Departments
- City of Seattle Labor Management council
- King County Metro Transit
- Washington State Patrol
- Alaska Department of Revenue
- Los Angeles County Sanitation District
- US Federal Executive Institute
- US Department of Defense
- Army Corps of Engineers
- US Department of the Interior
- Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Bureau of Land Management
- US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- US Naval Postgraduate School
- US Agency for International Development
- US Forestry Service
- Veterans Administration
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- US Department of Energy
- Richland (Hanford) Nuclear Facility
- Washington State Department of Ecology
- Washington State Department of Labor and Industry
- Washington State Department of Natural Resource Management
- Washington State Department of Social and Health Services